This was technically my Nanny’s recipe, although it looks pretty much like every other Wedding Cookie recipe out there with one exception… all the sifting! It’s not strictly necessary, but I’ve found that in the cookie dough, the sifted ingredients make for a more tender, crumbly cookie that melts in your mouth! And in the topping, sifting the powdered sugar seems to help it stick to the cookie better. Your choice!
These cookies are great for dietary restrictions! They swap out well with many Gluten Free varieties of flour since they don’t rise. And I’ve even made them with Sugar Free powdered sugar. The only thing I haven’t tried yet is swapping out a vegan butter substitute… let me know if you try it!
- 1 cups butter , softened
- 2 cups sifted flour
- ½ cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cups chopped walnuts
- extra sifted powdered sugar for rolling
- Cream butter and sugar together on high with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and flour, mix well on low. Dough will be dry and crumbly.
- Fold in nuts.
- Scoop using 1½ Tablespoon-sized cookie scoop and place on ungreased baking sheet about an inch apart. Since these cookies don’t rise, they don’t need much space. Bake at 350 for 13 minutes.
- Roll in powdered sugar while still hot. OPTIONAL: Roll a second time once cool
Makes roughly 28 cookies using 1.5 TBS cookie scoop.