I love Banana Bread, but only when it’s super moist and as sweet as a cake. After some of my own tweaking I found one that fits the bill, and added an optional streusel topping that makes it even yummier!
- 2 small (2lb) loaf pans (8inX4X2.5) or 12 muffin cups
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 4 large overripe bananas, mashed (approx 2 cups)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. banana extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- [For the (optional) Streusel Topping:]
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- (Double the streusel for muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease small loaf pans (8inX4X2.5) and line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Whisk together the flour and salt; combine with the butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 tsp. baking soda to the sour cream; stir well. The sour cream will react with the soda, making it light and foamy.
- Add in the bananas, vanilla and banana extracts, cinnamon, and walnuts; stir well.
- Add this mixture to the main mixture; mix well.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- [Optional: Add Streusel topping]
- Combine flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, 35 -45 minutes for cupcakes (1/4 cup batter) and 25-30 minutes for mini muffins.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then turn the loaf out onto a rack.
Original Recipe Source: Reluctant Entertainer – Secret Walnut Banana Bread by Sandy
Image Credit: Freshly Baked by Ginny, CC BY-SA 2.0